RCS question

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
AlphaOne
Favorite Aircraft: F-117 Nighthawk

RCS question

Post by AlphaOne »

Hi guys, I've been playing with .Dat files for a while now :).

While testing in YS, I found out that a fighter (say, a Su-27 or so) could still get a lock on me (and shoot me down, obviously) with a medium range AAM from a considerable distance (10 + miles, he was not even showing up on my radar which was set to 25 miles).

However, I had set the radar cross-section to 0.1 (the original setting was 0.05 - it's the F-117 Nighthawk from the CEP 2-2 pack). The bomb bay's cross-section was set to 0.7, but it was closed.

I replicated the same situation with the stock F-117 and they failed to get a lock-on. Now I wonder, how is this possible ? Or should I set the bomb bay's cross-section 1.0 or so ? It just doesn't make sense to me at the moment :oops:...

(Feel free to move this post to a new thread or elsewhere on this forum if it was posted in the wrong place - thank you!)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Re: .Dat Variables

Post by Flake »

Lower the cross section to be stealthier.

Also ensure a duplicate line doesn't exist that overwrites the old one.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
AlphaOne

Post by AlphaOne »

Thing is, upon comparing the two (the RCS of the stock and the CEP one), the stock one actually has a larger RCS (0.1) than the other one (0.05). Its bomb bay's RCS is also larger: 1.0 versus 0.7. I've checked for a duplicate line, but there doesn't seem to be one.
Shutter

Post by Shutter »

Your altitude matters as well in the vector length between you and the enemy that determines lock on distance, as well as if you are below the radar min alt. Stealth does not prevent lock on, it simply reduces lock on distances. You only have two tests with too many uncontrolled variables, which is honestly too little to come to any conclusions. If you want to be thorough you need to set up 2 stp's at a set distance from one another and test out various rcs values.
AlphaOne

Re: RCS question

Post by AlphaOne »

Please excuse my ignorance (...:oops:), but what is the vector length ? Stps are starting points/starting locations, I assume ?
Last edited by AlphaOne on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shutter

Re: RCS question

Post by Shutter »

vector length can be simplified to distance between two points. STP's are start positions, named such due to the .stp file extension.